Moving house comes with a lot of stress and expense. As well as the cost of your new property, you also need to hire a removal person for the day you move. If you’re looking for cheap man with a van services, you need to do your due diligence to make sure you hire the right person.
In this article, we’ll be covering some of the most important aspects of hiring a man with a van, such as steps to take to make sure you hire the right person, good ways to save money and frequently asked questions.
How to hire the right person
- Check their website – One of the first things to do when you’re looking for a man with a van is to check their website. Most of them have a website these days and checking it will allow you to see things like the services they offer, customer reviews and pictures of their previous jobs.
- Assess their professionalism – Professionalism can be judged in a few ways. Firstly, is how they communicate. If they’re unable or unwilling to answer basic questions, such as how much the job will cost, this is a big red flag. You can also assess professionalism through things like how they dress and what their website and van look like.
- Compare with other services – It’s actually very easy now to compare one man with a van service with another these days, with most having an online presence. You should get quotes from more than one company, so you have a choice of who to hire.
How to save money when hiring a man with a van
- Get several quotes – One of the best ways to save money when hiring a man with a van is to get multiple quotes. Getting quotes is easier than ever now thanks to the internet and it could save you a significant amount of money.
- Book during off-peak times – There are certain times of the year that are more expensive than others when hiring movers. Summer and the weeks leading up to Christmas, for example. To avoid spending more than you have to, you should book the removal company well in advance and at off-peak times.
- Save on packing materials – Packing materials can soon add up when you’re moving home. This being the case, a good way to save money is by getting them as cheaply as possible. Try to look for suppliers who offer bulk discounts as well as free delivery.
- Declutter your house before packing – This is an excellent way to save money. By decluttering your house, you can greatly reduce the amount you need to pack and therefore movers will charge less.
Man with a van FAQs
Below are some of the most frequently asked questions about man with a van removal services.
How much does a cheap van removal service cost?
Cheap van removals services will vary in cost depending on the person you hire as well as the factors below –
- The size of your house – The size of your house is one of the biggest things that affects cost. As you would expect a small, 1 bedroom house or flat will cost a lot less than a 4 or 5 bedroom house.
- The distance to your new property – Another major thing that determines how much you’ll pay for a man with a van is the distance from your current property to your new one. Long distance moves are usually those that are more than 50 miles and will cost a lot more than local moves within the same city.
- The number of movers needed – How many movers required will alter cost quite significantly too. For larger properties, it’s usually the case that multiple movers are required.
- Any additional services – A man with a van will sometimes offer additional services, depending on the number of employees they have. Other than moving your possessions. Packing is a very popular additional service these days, as is dismantling and reassembling large pieces of furniture.
- Special items – If you have special items that need to be moved, this can increase the cost too. Special items are usually those that are very high value, such as rare pieces of art or jewellery.
- Area you live – The area you live will affect how much you pay too. Typically urban removals are more expensive and certain parts of the country are more expensive than others too. As you might imagine, London movers usually cost quite a bit more than those in other areas.
What is the first step when hiring a man with a van?
The first thing you should do when getting in touch is to book a survey of your current property. This will allow the company to assess the size of your property as well as find out the distance to your new home. They’ll then be able to give you an accurate quote and you can decide if you want to hire them for the job or not.
Is it possible to book a removal service on the weekend?
No, you can only move house on weekdays due to the type of money transfer that must occur. This also applies to bank holidays.
How do I avoid cowboys?
There are several red flags that you should look out for if you want to avoid cowboys. Any company that has no online presence or ways to verify if they’re legitimate should be cause for concern.
The overall demeanour of the person when you first meet or speak on the phone is another thing you should take into account. If they come across as rude or unprofessional, then it’s better to avoid them and look elsewhere.
Is it actually necessary to hire a man with a van when moving?
With so much expense associated with moving home, you might be wondering if you actually need to hire a man with a van to help you at all. For example, you might consider hiring a van yourself for the day of your move. However, it’s worth bearing in mind that completion is typically very busy and with all the stress of moving, having to hire a van and move everything yourself usually isn’t worth it for most people.
Also, when you consider the cost of hiring a van, especially one that’s big enough to move all your possessions, the money you might save is negligible.
Are there likely to be any additional costs on the day?
There are certain circumstances where there can be additional charges on moving day. For example, if you have significantly more possessions to move than you originally told the removal company.
What if I need to cancel my booking?
Most removal companies will give you the opportunity to cancel, provided you give enough notice. If you try to cancel the same-day, then you’re likely going to have to pay a significant percentage of the quoted price, so it’s better to avoid this if at all possible.
Will I have to pay a deposit?
Yes, most removal companies will require you to make an initial payment when booking. Although the initial survey and quote is usually free, to schedule the company to assist you on a particular date will require a deposit.
What if the company loses or damages my items?
Any good company will have goods in transit insurance, meaning they’ll be able to compensate you for the value of any items that are lost, stolen or damaged.
How should I prepare for moving day?
If you’ve found the right man with a van service for you and have them booked for your completion day, then it’s a good idea to be as well prepared as possible.
Below is a checklist of the main things to do before they arrive –
- Do a final check of your house to make sure you’ve packed everything
- Keep in regular contact with the person you’ve hired on the day of your move
- Make sure you’re easily reachable by phone
- Make sure your property is easy to access for them