Whether you’re moving house, relocating to a new office or require a courier service, you’ll need the services of somebody with a van. There are many great options for cheap removal companies now, so you should have no trouble finding one in your local area.
A quick search for ‘cheap removalists near me’ or ‘cheap removals company’ will give you a list of local businesses to choose from. To help you make the right choice and learn more about the type of services removal companies offer, below are some of the most frequently asked questions people have.
What services do removal companies offer?
A typical removal company will offer a variety of services to customers. The most common ones being:
- House moves – House moves are one of the main things that removal companies do. Most will cover all types of properties, from 1 bedroom flats and houses to 4-5 bedroom houses and even larger.
- Office removals – Office removals are another thing that removal companies can help with. Office removals can require even more work than a house removal, especially when they’re located in high-rise buildings and there’s a lot of equipment to move.
- Student moves – Students moving into new accommodation often have a lot of stuff to take with them and this is another common type of job for removal companies.
- Long distance moves – A lot of the time, when people move house it’s to live in another city or sometimes even another country all together. Long distance moves cost considerably more than local moves, as you would expect.
- Property clearances – Whether it’s due to the resident passing away or a business going bankrupt, it’s often the case that properties need to be completely cleared of their contents. Any good removal company will be able to offer this service.
- Courier service – As well as removals, a lot of removal companies will also offer courier services. This might be for a single job or a longer term contract.
How much does it cost to hire a removal company?
The cost of hiring a removal company will depend on a number of factors. The mains ones are –
- The number of staff – The number of movers needed is a big variable that affects the price you pay. Obviously, the more people needed, the more the hourly rate will be. For smaller moves, 1-2 staff might be enough for large houses or offices, you might need 3-4.
- The size of van(s) required – Another thing that affects cost if the size and number of vans needed. Most moves can be done with a single van but the size needed will depend on the size of the property and how many boxes there are to be moved.
- How accessible your property is – This is something that people often don’t take into account but how difficult the property is to access will certainly be considered by removal companies when coming up with a price. It might be the case that the size of van needed cannot get close to the property, making loading the boxes that much more challenging.
- The distance between properties – The distance that needs to be covered will be taken into account too, with local moves within the same city being considerably cheaper than long distance moves.
- Extra services – There are several extra services that removal companies offer. This can be anything from packing your items for you to dismantling and reassembling large pieces of furniture. How much more it costs will depend on the amount of time and work required.
Is it possible to book a removal company on the weekends?
Yes, most removal companies will be available to book on weekends but it will usually cost more compared to during the week.
It should be said that house moves usually never take place on the weekends or on bank holidays. This is because of the type of money transfer that has to take place. Of course there are exceptions, such as if you’re paying for a property in cash but in most cases, house moves occur on weekdays.
Is there a difference between a removal company and a man with a van?
The main differences between a removal company and a man with a van are as follows –
- The size of the jobs taken on – Generally a man with a van is better suited to smaller removals and courier jobs. Because they usually work solo or with one or other person, a man with a van will be able to help with removals for small houses/flats and small offices. A removal company on the other hand will often have a fleet of vans and multiple employees, meaning they can take on larger removal jobs.
- The distance covered – Another difference between a man with a van and a removal company is the distance they usually covered. A man with a van will usually take on local moves within the same city or county. A removal company will usually be able to offer longer distance moves of 100 miles or more. Some will be able to help with overseas moves too.
- Extra services offered – Extra services are usually things like packing your items when you’re moving as well as dismantling and reassembling larger pieces of furniture, such as dining tables, cabinets and wardrobes. While some man with a van services might be able to help with this, it often requires multiple people, so it’s more typical for removal companies.
Wouldn’t it be cheaper to hire my own van?
Since there’s so much expense associated with moving, the thought might strike you that it’d be cheaper to take care of things yourself rather than hiring a removal company. Although some things, such as packing your items yourself, can certainly save you money; hiring your own van usually isn’t worth it.
Not only do you have the expense of hiring the van to think of but if you’re not used to driving such a large vehicle, it’s usually not the safest thing to do for the first time when you already have the stress of moving to contend with. A cheap removal company usually works out more affordable and will certainly make your day less stressful than if you tried to do everything yourself.
What’s the best way to prepare for a removal company visiting?
One of the most important things you need to do to prepare for a removal company visit is ensure that all your possessions are securely boxed and properly labelled. Not only will this lessen the chance of damage, it’ll make it much easier for you to unpack at your new property.
In addition to this, you should make sure you’re easily contactable and that your property is as easy to access as possible.
How do I find the cheapest removal company near me?
It makes sense to try and find the cheapest removal company you can, provided they still offer a professional and reliable service. The best way to go about this is by obtaining quotes from different removal companies in your area. Most removal companies will have their own website, so it shouldn’t be too difficult to get a quote for your job.
Are there any other ways to save money?
As well as getting quotes from the different removal companies in your area, there are also some other reliable ways to save money. These include –
- Pack yourself – Packing yourself is one of the best ways to save money when hiring a removal company. Although most will offer this as an additional service, it will add to the overall cost significantly.
- Book off-peak – There are certain times when it’s more expensive to hire a removal company than others. Weekends and bank holidays are two of the main ones but it can also be more expensive during the summer months and around Christmas. If you can arrange your move to fall outside these times, you’ll be able to save a good amount of money.
- Declutter the property – Whether it’s a domestic or commercial move, an excellent way to reduce costs is by decluttering. Getting rid of items you don’t want or need before packing, will greatly reduce the amount of boxes that need to be moved.
Book early – It’s a good idea to contact removal companies as early as possible. You’ll usually pay more late bookings and won’t have the same amount of time to plan things.