Moving house is something many people only do once and everything that’s involved can be overwhelming. One of the biggest things to take care of when moving is hiring a good removal and storage company.
Finding a removal company in your local area is easier than ever now thanks to the internet. A simple internet search for ‘removal and storage near me’ will give you plenty of options to choose from. Although it’s easy to find these companies in your area, it’s still important to know how to hire the right one.
Read on to find out more about the factors that affect cost when hiring a removal company, how to choose the right one, the services they offer and the best ways to save money.
How is cost calculated?
When hiring a removal and storage company, the main things that will affect how much you pay are –
- The number of items to be removed and stored – The number of items that have to be moved and stored is one of the biggest things that affects cost. The more items you have, the bigger the storage space that’s going to be required. The same applies for moving your items – more items means more movers and time will be needed.
- Storage conditions required – It isn’t just the size of the storage space that needs to be taken into account but also the conditions required. Certain household items can be stored in a standard storage space but things like wood and leather can easily deteriorate without the right conditions. This will be taken into account by companies when they’re coming up with a total cost.
- The distance covered – The distance that needs to be covered in total will also come into play. This includes the distance the company needs to travel to get to your property, the distance to the storage location and the distance to your new property when you want your items moving there.
What other things can add to the total cost?
Although the number of items to be removed/stored and the distance that needs to be travelled are the two main factors that impact cost, there are some other things that can bump it up too. The main ones are –
- Special items – Special items are usually those that require special care when handling and being moved. This can be extremely expensive items, such as jewellery or artwork; or it could be something extremely heavy (and expensive) such as a piano. The amount this adds to the overall cost will depend on the nature of the items and how many there are.
- Short notice – Another thing that can add to the cost is hiring a company at very short notice. Some removal companies will have the option for short-notice jobs but generally, you’re going to pay more for them.
- Packing – Most companies will offer to pack items for you, whether they’re going straight to a new property or need to be stored for a certain period of time. Of course, this does come at extra cost though.
- Packing materials – Packing materials are another thing that adds to the total cost. You can choose to get your own packing materials but it often ends up being cheaper if you allow your removal company to supply them, particularly if they’re reusable.
What are the main reasons to hire a removal and storage company?
– Keep your possessions safe
When you’re moving home, it might not necessarily be the case that you want to move all your possessions at the same time. A good removal and storage company will be able to keep your items stored safely until you’re ready for them.
– You need to clear out a property
It might be the case that you need a property to be cleared out, whether it’s commercial or domestic. Removal companies will be able to help with this and can usually provide storage solutions if you don’t want to get rid of the contents immediately and plan to go through them at a later date.
– You’re travelling overseas
Another reason you might need a removal and storage company is if you’re moving seas, whether it’s for an extended holiday or a gap year. It’s not a good idea to leave a property unattended for long periods, especially when your valuable possessions are inside. A removal company will be able to store your items safely until you return.
Choosing the right company
The first thing you need to think about when looking for the right company is what your needs are. Do you need removal with storage; or just removal? Do you need additional services such as cleaning, packing or dismantling?
As well as the services a removal and storage company offers, below are some of the other important things to consider –
- Their availability – The first thing to find out from any company is if they’re available on the date you need. Removal companies tend to be busiest during the months from April to September, so if you’re moving in this window, it’s best to book as early as possible.
- Their reputation – It’s quite easy to look most companies up online these days. You should be able to see the reviews that previous customers have left for them and this will give you a good idea of how reliable and professional they are.
- The insurance they have – If you need particularly heavy or expensive items to be moved, then you want to be sure that the company you hire has the right level of cover. This gives you peace of mind that if anything were lost, stolen or damaged, you’d be fully compensated.
Services removal and storage companies offer
- House removals – House removals are one of the most common types of jobs that removal companies tackle. A good removal company will be able to help with all types of house removals, whether it’s for smaller houses and flats or larger properties.
- Business removals – Business removals are offered by most removal companies too. In addition to helping to relocate offices, a removal company will also be able to provide additional storage solutions as well as clearance services.
- International removals – Moving overseas is of course more complicated than domestically, so not all removal companies will be able to assist with international removals. Generally the larger ones with a large fleet of vehicles and employees will offer this service.
- Storage – Lastly is storage. Most companies will offer storage solutions for both domestic and commercial customers.
- Get quotes from different companies – One of the best ways you can save money when hiring a moving company and storage service is by getting multiple quotes. This allows you to compare them and choose the company that offers the best rates.
- Book early – You can also save money by booking a removal company as early as possible. If you have a moving date set, then you should contact removal companies to enquire about their availability. This can save you a lot compared to contacting them last minute.
Declutter – Decluttering your property will mean you have less to move as well as less to store (if you also need storage). This will help to keep costs down when it’s time to hire a removal company.